Tuesday

I Slept With a Harlot!


I dropped her off with my car and raced back home to prepare for church (to think that I even had the guts to want to go to church after a night of fornicating!). 

The night before was an eventful one as I had a company function to attend at one of the popular hotels in Abuja. At about 9pm when the function ended, I was driving out of the hotel when I saw this beautiful lady standing as if waiting for her driver, or a cab. I slowed down and hunked, 'where are you headed I asked' and she said 'it depends'. Hearing that, for the wrongest and weirdest reasons, maybe just to see what came out of it, I decided to play along and into my car she hopped. 

Skip to the following morning, with all the guilt flowing in me, I summoned courage to dress for church. I drove at 50km/h wondering what it was I was going to do in church, lift up hands that had done ungodly things the night before or? In all of this, one thing was sure, I was going to my father's house or should I be headed for a beer palour instead? That wouldn't possibly help! All I needed right now was a fix, not a quick fix like clubbing, drugs, sex or alcohol rather, I needed a REAL fix. 

Seated right at the back where I was cos I came in late (which was good as I couldn't stand seating in front), there was this mixed smell of the lady from the night before and the cologne which I wore. Despite my 1 hour in the bath tub that morning and the N1,200 soap I use to bath, the smell of filth, that vile smell, the smell of an harlot lay underneath! I immediately raced to my car (as someone with an asthma attack would reach for his inhaler) and picked the body spray I permanently kept in the car and 'bathed' myself with it. Respite came my way for a few minutes as the smell seemed to disappear under the now over-bearing body spray alas, it was only for a moment! 

Then it struck me, no matter how I tried to cover my sinfulness with anything from denial to church work and even more sinfulness, the stench, filth and consequence of sin would always seep from beneath. Sin sticks its logo, emblem or insignia on you and just as the famous song writer wrote '...what can wash away my sin? NOTHING but the blood of Jesus!'. In Isaiah, God said, '...though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red as crimson, they shall be white as wool'. Just then on my knees, with tears rolling down my eyes, in the midst of my feeling of guilt, rejection and dejection, I felt an outpouring of his love which enveloped my heart. From the coldness and heaviness of heart which I felt, I felt this uplifting warmth which wrapped round my heart. 

I may have slept with an harlot, I might even be the child of an harlot, I may be a 'runs-girl' or even, a yahoo boy! I might even be the type that visits elegushi beach on those saturday nights that my wife isn't around or I may be the girl with a target to meet that yields to customers t to meet that target. I may be worse than all of these yet, IN THE ARMS OF HIS LOVE I FIND REST! 

Selah. 

Follow me on twitter @FemiBellos and bbm 2AE5A00E

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your comment!