Saturday

A lesson or two...from Terry G!

 Fiddling with my laptop I thought of what to write, but didn’t feel like posting any pre-written article so out of boredom, I put on the TV, hoping to watch some documentary or some news but guess what I stumbled upon? An interview with Terry G yes, Terry G! Okay! So what is it about this 'bling'-wielding, street gangster-like “akpako master” that could possibly draw my attention enough to do an article on him? 

Well, before you run off (as I probably would) with bias concerning his person or on me for doing a piece on him, lets quickly learn…and run off still! Well, straight to the point. During the interview he was asked why he no longer has his piercings and he made valid points which struck me which I feel every artiste and individual reading this could learn a thing from. 

Firstly, he made a valid statement, “we are all children of God”. Of course we all know that yeah? Pretty sure a number of us including myself may be quick to judge this statement including the person saying it but hold on a second, I guess we were the same ones that judged the biblical Rahab in the Old Testament or Mary Magdalene or even, the 'brief' Zacheus! As much as we all advocate for a closer relationship with God, it is important that we never miss the baseline truth “we all are children of God”. As a Christian, Pastor, Preacher, Evangelist or Church leader, if you would bring someone to God, you must not miss this baseline truth. 

Whether the individual has taken up his son-ship by accepting and reciprocating this love is a different matter all together. Another thing he said regarding taking off the piercings was that “sometimes you have some friends you need to get rid of, some friends that are not just good for you” and then I remembered as a youngster how my parents were always particular about those I kept as friends. This of course helped me up to the point where I am today wherein I can proudly say, I choose my friends, people who are consistent with my values and beliefs. It takes guts to say NO to being friends with someone especially when you ‘go way back’ but it is better to stay off what can destroy you as its YOUR LIFE not theirs! 

The next thing he said is very important for every artiste out there. He said he got to a point where he discovered he didn’t need to look mad or wild to impact with his music. ‘Come for my shows, watch my performance and judge if anything has changed’ he said. A lot of us think embellishments are requirements for success in our artistry and this is a wrong notion. Terry G is a man who seems to have gained a maturity that eludes many artistes today. Let your music speak for you. Stop trying to create a person you are not all in a bid to impress and gain ephemeral influence. Let your music do the talking. 

If you are indeed convinced of your content, then why the fear? 

Follow me on twitter @FemiBellos and add me on BBM 2AE5A00E

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your comment!